Star Alliance regains Best Alliance title at Skytrax World Airline Awards™
FRANKFURT, Germany – Star Alliance, the way the Earth connects, has regained the Best Airline Alliance title at the prestigious Skytrax World Airline Awards™.
Jaan Albrecht, CEO Star Alliance said: "Being selected the best airline alliance by more than 18 million travellers is a great honour for Star Alliance. This award is further proof that we are meeting customer expectations to a high degree by providing global reach through our world-wide network, offering enhanced frequent flyer benefits and recognising the value of the international traveller, irrespective of the member airline they are travelling on".
Star Alliance was the first airline alliance to receive the Best Alliance Award from Skytrax, when the category was first introduced in 2005. It held the title in both 2007 and 2009 (at that time the alliance award was only handed out every two years).
Since 2010, the best airline alliance has been selected on an annual basis.
The Skytrax passenger survey for the 2011 awards covered over 200 airlines, from the largest international airlines to small domestic carriers, and measured standards across more than 38 different items of airline front-line product and service. The survey was conducted over a 10-month period, surveying more than 18.8 million passengers from over 100 different nationalities across the world.
The World Airline Awards™ are regarded as the primary benchmarking tool for Passenger Satisfaction levels of airlines throughout the world – comprising a unique Page 2 of 3 survey format based on analysis of business and leisure travellers and across all cabin classes (First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy class passengers).
The study analyses customer satisfaction for the Airline Passenger Experience, across the Airport and Onboard environments - check-in to boarding, onboard seat comfort, cabin cleanliness, food, beverages, IFE and staff service.
In addition to the overall Star Alliance award, the following member carriers received awards in individual airline categories:
- Best Cabin Staff : Asiana Airlines
- Best Airport Services : ANA
- Best Airline Transatlantic : Lufthansa
- Best Airline Business Class : Singapore Airlines
- Best Airline Premium Economy Class : Air New Zealand
- Best Airline Economy Class : Asiana Airlines
- Best Business Class Onboard Catering : Austrian Airlines
- Best Premium Economy Onboard Catering : Air New Zealand
- Best Economy Class Onboard Catering : THAI
- Best Premium Economy Cabin Seats : Turkish Airlines
- Best Economy Class Cabin Seats : THAI
- Best Airline – Africa : South African Airways
- Best Airline – Asia : Singapore Airlines
- Best Airline - Australia / Pacific : Air New Zealand
- Best Airline – Europe : Turkish Airlines
- Best International Airline - North America : Air Canada
- Best Airline - C America/Caribbean : TACA Airlines*
- Best Airline - South America : TAM Airlines
- Best Airline - Southern Europe : Turkish Airlines
- Best Airline - Western Europe : Swiss International Air Lines
- Service Excellence – Africa : South African Airways
- Service Excellence – Asia : ANA
- Service Excellence – Europe : Austrian Airlines
- Service Excellence - C America/Caribbean : TACA Airlines*
- Service Excellence - South America : TAM Airlines
- Best Regional Airline – Europe : Aegean Airlines
*future Star Alliance member carrier.