airDC: new airline in the Congolese skies

The new Congolese airline set up by Hewa Bora Airways together with the Brussels Airlines group by means of its Mauritius subsidiary Pan African Airlines, will carry the name 'airDC'. The first 'airDC' commercial flights for passengers are foreseen early 2008. The creation of this company, that will become a reference in terms of security, punctuality and reliability, was warmly welcomed by the public in Congo and by the Congolese community abroad.

The name ‘airDC’ is a reference to ‘RDC’ (French acronym for Democratic republic of Congo - DRC), highlighting the Congolese identity of this new airline. airDC thus becomes an airline for the entire Congolese community that will offer scheduled flights between the capital Kinshasa and the vast Congolese territory. 

'airDC' will also operate international flights in Africa and will offer, in cooperation with Brussels Airlines, a link with Europe and Brussels Airlines' extended network

More information about the destinations and the frequencies will be available soon. The company plans to start its flight operations early 2008. The necessary preparations regarding operations and organisation are currently under way.
  
The precise date for the launch of the flight operations will be defined after all maintenance facilities are set up at N'Djili airport, complying with international standards, such as the JAR145 standards as they are known in the industry.

airDC will operate according to international standards with a fleet comprising Boeing 737 and BAE 146 aircraft from its home base at Kinshasa N'Djili airport. Safety, punctuality and reliability are the key values on which the airline will be built. The company itself will also provide ground and handling operations at every Congolese airport where it will land.

Philippe de Moerloose (of Hewa Bora Airways) and Michel Meyfroidt have been appointed Co-Chairman of the Board.
The daily management of the company is in the hands of Johan Maertens, who was appointed CEO of airDC. Until recently, Johan Maertens was African Projects Manager for Brussels Airlines. Stavros Papaioannou, CEO of Hewa Bora, will hold the function of  'Administrateur-Général'. In that capacity, he will put his vast experience in the local airline industry at the service of airDC, in particular in view of its relations with the Congolese authorities.
airDC was created by the Congolese Hewa Bora Airways and by the Brussels Airlines group, by means of its Mauritius subsidiary Pan African Airlines. Hewa Bora Airways holds 51 percent of the shares and Brussels Airlines the remaining 49 percent. 

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About Brussels Airlines

Brussels Airlines is the home carrier of Belgium and one of the four network airlines of the Lufthansa Group. It connects the European capital from Brussels Airport with over 85 destinations, 17 of which are in Sub Saharan Africa. The company employs more than 3,300 people and operates 43 aircraft.

Brussels Airlines aims to emit 50% less CO2 by 2030 compared to 2019 and plans to be carbon neutral by 2050. The airline is participating in the Stargate Project led by Brussels Airport and is therefore part of the testing ground for sustainable aviation at its home base. In addition, the airline signed the Circular Economy agreement of the Antwerp Management School in 2021. The airline was the first to transport Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) through the CEPS-pipeline connecting Brussels Airport early 2023. By end 2024, Brussels Airlines will have welcomed five state-of-the-art Airbus A320neo allowing the airline to significantly lower its CO2- and noise-emissions on its medium-haul network.

As an ambassador of its country, Brussels Airlines brings the world to Belgium and the best of Belgium to the world, among others through collaborations with Belgian Star Chefs, Belgian culinary products and the Belgian Icons, specially painted aircraft that honour a Belgian iconic person, team or event to promote Belgian culture worldwide.

More information on brusselsairlines.com 


About Star Alliance

The Star Alliance network was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance, based on a customer value proposition of global reach, worldwide recognition and seamless service. Since inception, it has offered the largest and most comprehensive airline network, with a focus on improving customer experience across the Alliance journey.

Overall, the Star Alliance network currently offers more than 10,000 daily flights to almost 1,200 airports in 184 countries.

More information on staralliance.com

Contact

b.house Zone General Aviation - Airport Building 26 1831 Diegem

+32 2 723 89 90

press@brusselsairlines.com

www.brusselsairlines.com