Brussels Airlines: passenger growth continues in March

Last March, 491,037 passengers flew with Brussels Airlines. That is an increase of 5.6% compared to the same month last year. 27.1% of their passengers combined two Brussels Airlines flights, with a connection in Brussels Airport.

Brussels Airlines attracted 4.3% more passengers on its European flights, while their African flights between welcomed 8.6% more passengers. Thanks to a capacity increase, the airline's US flights welcomed 29.1% more passengers.

Among all passengers, 72.9% of them flew between Brussels and one of Brussels Airlines’ destinations. The other 27.1% combined two Brussels Airlines flights, with a connection in Brussels Airport.

Due to the fact that the Easter holidays, traditionally known as a very busy travel period, started last year in March and this year in April, the seat load factor decreased last month. Moreover, the Carnival holidays which traditionally attract less business travelers, fell this year in March instead of February.

In addition to this scheduled flight activity, Brussels Airlines operated many holiday flights for tour operators and incentive agencies. Passenger figures for this charter activity are not included in the monthly figures of this press release.


  March 2014 March 2013 month/month difference in %
Passengers 491,037 465,138 + 5.6
Available seat-kilometres (in millions) 1,197.36 1,062.65 + 12.7
Revenue Passenger-kilometres (in millions) 800.01 739.86 + 8.1
Freight ton-kilometres (x1000) 19,148 14,385 + 33.1%
Overall Load Factor (Passengers & freight) 58.4% 61.7% - 3.3 pct punt
Passenger Load Factor PLF 66.8% 69.6% - 2.8 pct punt


Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About Brussels Airlines

Brussels Airlines is the home carrier of Belgium and one of the four network airlines of the Lufthansa Group. It connects the European capital from Brussels Airport with over 90 destinations, 18 of which are in Sub Saharan Africa. The company employs more than 3,400 people and operates 44 aircraft.

Brussels Airlines aims to emit 50% less CO2 by 2030 compared to 2019 and plans to be carbon neutral by 2050. The airline is participating in the Stargate Project led by Brussels Airport and is therefore part of the testing ground for sustainable aviation at its home base. In addition, the airline signed the Circular Economy agreement of the Antwerp Management School in 2021. The airline was the first to transport Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) through the CEPS-pipeline connecting Brussels Airport early 2023. By end 2024, Brussels Airlines will have welcomed five state-of-the-art Airbus A320neo allowing the airline to significantly lower its CO2- and noise-emissions on its medium-haul network.

As an ambassador of its country, Brussels Airlines brings the world to Belgium and the best of Belgium to the world, among others through collaborations with Belgian Star Chefs, Belgian culinary products and the Belgian Icons, specially painted aircraft that honour a Belgian iconic person, team or event to promote Belgian culture worldwide.

More information on 

About Star Alliance

The Star Alliance network was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance, based on a customer value proposition of global reach, worldwide recognition and seamless service. Since inception, it has offered the largest and most comprehensive airline network, with a focus on improving customer experience across the Alliance journey.

Overall, the Star Alliance network currently offers more than 17,000 daily flights to over 1,200 airports in 190 countries.

More information on

Contact Zone General Aviation - Airport Building 26 1831 Diegem

+32 2 723 89 90